It is our pleasure to introduce Joan Gilbert from the D.E.S.E.R.T. project,
AZ, Laura Harnish of the TREASURmath project, AZ, Ana Lopez from TESS
Project, CA, Cheryl Pilatowski, of TAPESTRIES, OH, and Kathryn Show from
Seattle K-5, Inquiry-Based Science Program, WA.
Teacher Leadership has been a cornerstone of the LSC program. Teacher
leaders have taken leadership roles in running summer workshop experiences
and in providing year-round professional development. This year we hear
about the challenges inherent in the teacher leadership model by hearing
from the teacher leaders themselves. They look forward to discussing the
following questions with you:
- How can the transition from teacher to teacher leader be made smoother
and more effective?
- How have teacher leaders dealt with competing curricular demands and
competing reforms such as high stakes tests, which sometimes divert
teachers' attention away from the goals of the reform?
- How have teacher leaders monitored and assessed teacher growth? What
data is most useful to collect?
- How have teacher leaders dealt with teacher resistance?
- How have LSCs managed to sustain their teacher leadership model after the
grant funding has ended?