Discussion: Keynote Part 2

previous post    next post
 main index
posted by: Deborah Ball on May 15, 2003 at 12:05PM
subject: Discussion: Learning Mathematics from the Study of a Video Clip
What are some of the mathematical issues you see in the video? This discussion relates to the "Example of Using Video..." section of the keynote; click here to go to this section of the keynote. Subject: Discussion: Learning Mathematics from the Study of a Video Clip Message:

I’d like to encourage you to spend some time working on the problem posed in one or more of the tasks I’ve laid out. These tasks have been designed to provide people with opportunities to learn mathematics through working on problems that are similar to those teachers routinely face in their work.

You will notice that some of the problems I’ve posed are closely tied to the things said and done in the video segment while others draw upon the video to launch mathematical work that can be pursued with little reference to the video. In those cases where close viewing of the video seems necessary or useful, there are control buttons on the video viewer that you can use to navigate the video (pause, fast forward, rewind). You can also use the time code in the bottom right-hand side of the viewer to reference particular moments in the video. For example, if you wanted to refer to the place where Keith tries to explain why Riba disagrees, you might point people to the portion of the video starting at 02:39:00.

I’ve started one discussion thread for each task. (Click here to go to this section of the keynote) Please join in the discussion for the task(s) you are most interested in exploring. As you work, try to pay attention to the kind of mathematical work the problems entail, and the mathematical reasoning and ideas you are using as you try to address the questions. We will talk about these observations in another discussion thread, further on.

Click Video to view the video.
 main index
 previous post    next post
© TERC 2003, all rights reserved